Who Are We?
Our mission is to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ throughout all of New York City in love and with respect for people from every nation.
"...Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone." Mark 16:15 (NLT)
Eligibility to Volunteer
In order to serve in this ministry, you must be a member of The Brooklyn Tabernacle or in the process of becoming a member.
Activities & Functions
Street Evangelism: Every year, typically between the months of April and November, members meet biweekly on Saturday mornings to preach the Good News to people we encounter on the streets of NYC, using the following methods:
- Prayer Stations - The prayer station offers members the opportunity to speak and pray with anyone who has a need.
- Survey Chalkboard - The chalkboard allows anyone passing by to vote YES, NO, or MAYBE to a spiritual question such as the following: "Is Jesus God?" This gives members the opportunity to have meaningful conversations about the featured question with those who wish to discuss their vote.
- Gospel Tracts - Members distribute gospel tracts to passersby as a way to engage them in conversation and offer prayer.
- General Meetings: Bi-monthly general meetings offer an opportunity for members to come together to learn about ministry updates, receive training on how to minister to people who have different objections to the Christian faith, and pray for the lost.
- Special Event Team Mobilizations: Every year the Evangelism Ministry helps to distribute invitations to special major events at the church, including the Christmas and Easter presentations.
Partnering with other Community Serving Ministries: As an extension of our mission to communicate the love of Christ, the Evangelism Ministry will at times partner with other community serving ministries of the church by helping out in outreaches targeted to help those in need.
Frequency of Service
Workers are required to participate in at least one of our bi-weekly Saturday morning outreaches per month, and all bi-monthly General Meetings. Those interested in the Evangelism Ministry but unable to serve Saturday mornings are welcome to join our Special Events team and attend the General Meetings.
Length of Commitment
All Evangelism Ministry volunteers are asked to make a one-year commitment to the ministry.
Due to the physicality of the work of this ministry, all members are required to be in good health, be able to stand a minimum of 1 hour unassisted, and be able to speak and to pray with anyone at any given time. Workers must be willing to follow instructions and, in a spirit of brotherly love and respect, communicate with co-laborers and the public.
Upcoming Training Meetings: Wednesdays June 6th, September 26th, October 24th, November 28th.
Outreach Dates: Saturdays May 5th & 19th; June 9th & 23rd; July 7th & 28th; August 11th & 25th; September 8th & 22nd; October 6th & 20th; November 10th.