Short Term Missions - Requirements
Or simply copy this link to the Character Referral Form and paste it into an email:
- Complete the online application by clicking on the link above. Be sure to attach all the required documents needed (colored copy of passport and 2" x 2" passport photo *).
- Send the referral form URL above to a Pastor or Ministry Leader that knows you best and could fill out the online form and submit to Pastor Park.
- A confirmation receipt will be emailed once submitted for both application and referral form.
* Note: If you are a medical professional your resume/cv and medical certificate is also required.
- You must be a member in good standing of the Brooklyn Tabernacle (or your home church).
- You must be able to attend all mandatory Team Meetings and Trip Training Meetings.
- In the fall of every year, mandatory trip information and training sessions are held for the trips that take place the following year, e.g. trip information and training session in the fall of 2016 for 2017 trips. All prospective candidates must attend the trip training session. There will be a single training session for both veterans and new trip candidates who have never been on a trip.
- Make up information and training sessions are held in the beginning of the year for those who missed the fall training.
- In addition to the mandatory trip training, attendance is highly recommended for mission ministry meetings (i.e. Mission General Meetings, Missions Bible Studies) as part of the training for the trip.
- Attendance in these meetings will factor into the selection criteria for trip acceptance.
- Active participation in a ministry is a major consideration.
- Pastor or Ministry leader references must be received.
- Fluent language or medical skills are a plus, but not a requirement.
- Non-refundable trip deposits of $100 are due immediately upon acceptance. Deposit payment must be made by Credit Card through RegOnline. The RegOnline trip specific link will be provided to you in your trip acceptance email.
- A payment schedule for each trip will be published and must be followed. If the schedule is not followed, you may be removed from the team and placed on the waiting list.
- You do not have to join the Missions Ministry to go on a trip.
- Please understand that participation in a mission trip carries risks inherent both to such activities and to the location of the event. The Brooklyn Tabernacle cannot be held liable for loss, injury or damage as a result of your participation. The release in the trip application must be signed.
- Please be advised that the trip dates are subject to change.
- The total costs are only estimated and may fluctuate.
- If you have been selected for a team and a plane ticket has been purchased, you are fully responsible for that ticket. If you cannot make the trip or church leadership asks that you step down from a team for some reason, you agree to be fully responsible for the ticket.
- Be careful of all of your public postings such as with Facebook or blogs. Whatever you posted could potentially be used against your candidacy.
You will have 2 separate interviews except for the following exceptions:
- If you have been on a trip in the past 2 years, you do not have to be interviewed or have a character referral form. However, a trip application is still required.
- If you were on a team in the past, but it was more than 2 years ago, or you are an official member of the Missions Ministry, or are in leadership at the church in some capacity (deacon, etc) you need to submit an updated character referral and you may need 1 interview.
- Selections will be based on the interviews, application and references.
- Given the sensitive nature of some of the trips, we may have to ask you more personal questions regarding your background: e.g. Have you ever been sexually abused? etc.
- Teams will be finalized starting from the earlier trips to the later ones.
- We will notify everyone by email, mail or phone whether you are on the team. (Make sure the email and mailing addresses as well as the phone #s on the application are legible).
- Please don't be offended or discouraged if you aren't selected!