Who Are We?
The goal of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Missions Ministry is to share the love of Jesus throughout the world, both in word and in action. We want to see men, women, youth, and children of all nations become disciples of Christ. Our approach is holistic in that we minister to both the body and the spirit. We also want to provide not just a fish, but the skill and knowledge for people to fish for themselves.
We organize regular short-term teams to work in partnership with local ministries to provide ministry services that the local partners can use to help in their existing community outreaches. Our teams conduct Medical/Dental Clinics; Children and Youth Programs; Business as Ministry (BAM) Seminars for local businesspeople and entrepreneurs; Computer Classes for youth and young adults; Vocational Classes, such as sewing, English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes, and Discipleship Bible Studies. The Missions Ministry plans and prepares teams to minister in all of these areas.
The Missions Ministry meets regularly to pray for world needs, to gain knowledge and training for missions, to learn from visiting missionaries and to be support teams for our missionaries and mission teams. For members that are interested in longer term missions, there are discipleship, training and internship opportunities.
Eligibility to Volunteer
There are two levels of involvement with the Missions Ministry (depending on your commitment level):
1. Missions Ministry Volunteer
- You must be a member of The Brooklyn Tabernacle, in the process of becoming a member, or a member of good standing at your local church.
- You may participate in a Missions Ministry Work Team (see item I below) or volunteer for a special event (see item IV below).
2. Missions Ministry Member
- Be a member of The Brooklyn Tabernacle, in the process of becoming a member, or a member of good standing at your local church.
- Complete Missions application form and complete an interview
- Select (and be active in) a Missionary Support Team (see Item II below) and Missions Ministry Work Team (see Item I below).
- [Optional] Join and actively attend a Missions Ministry Small Group.
- Regularly attend Missions meetings (i.e. monthly General Meeting, Missions Bible Study).
- Make a one-year commitment.
Activities & Functions
I. Missions Ministry Work Teams
(Missions Ministry members must select a work team to be a part of):
- Mission Trip- VBS/Children
- Mission Trip- Youth
- Mission Trip- Trip Logistics Team
- Mission Trip- Music and Arts Team
- Mission Trip- Translation Team
- Medical Missions
- WCF Life Center
- Missionary Care Team/Missions Ministry Care (MCT/MMC)
- MCT/MMC - Airport Logistics
- Prayer Team
- Small Groups
- Welcome Committee
- Creative Team
II. Missionary Support Team
- Each missionary that The Brooklyn Tabernacle oversees has a Support Team within the Missions Ministry. The Support Team provides ongoing prayer support, encouragement, special project help and logistics planning for short-term mission teams heading to the missionary location.
III. Small Groups
- Missions Ministry Small Groups meet at designated homes in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and Long Island. Each Small Group has a leader and co-leader hosting the group. The role of the Small Group is to come together on a monthly basis, have fellowship and pray for missionary needs.
IV. Special Event (volunteering)
- Barrel drive
- Other special events (i.e. Mission Conference assistance).
More about Short-Term Missions
Our short-term mission trips are organized primarily as Medical and/or Ministry teams and work in partnership with native ministries. Made up of medical and dental professionals who travel as volunteers, the Missions Ministry conducts free medical and dental clinics in the poorest areas, places with little or no access to medical care. Our Ministry teams conduct community outreaches, visit prisons, conduct special programs for children and youth, coordinate building and construction projects, and teach in discipleship programs and Bible studies. Our teams have ministered everywhere from the Caribbean, South America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
More about Missions Ministry
The Missions Ministry meets together to pray for world mission needs, to instruct, encourage, and prepare Ministry members who are called by God to serve on the mission field or who want to help as ‘senders’ of missionaries, and to learn from and pray for visiting missionaries. We also have groups that plan and coordinate our children and youth programs that we conduct on trips, prepare/sort/pack our supplies for medical trips, care teams that help with visiting missionaries and much more.